Pages

Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Patiently Waiting 3/25/2020





\

3/25/2020
Hello Everyone!

Wayne and I are still in Arequipa!
It's been a week, nothing much has happened.  Wayne and I have been quarantined in our apartments since Saturday 3/18/2020.  We've only ventured out once, last week we walked to the store to get some groceries.  I posted about that.  It was just so different, everything about it was weird.
 
We have been enjoying this time we can share together. I don't think we've ever had so much time to be together and we've have enjoyed the slow pace peaceful moments.   
Wayne has been able to do Unicad work and catch up on entries for his life history.  I've cleaned, cooked, baked , and cleaned, cooked, baked, over and over.  We've enjoyed watching old movies, old Western movies, and we even took a trip to the Antarctic via YouTube.  
It's been nice!
I have been working on making Wayne and me a mask to wear when we finally get to fly home.  It has been a little tricky since I don't have a sewing machine and just by chance I brought a few scraps of fabric.  It wasn't by chance.  As I think about it now, I know I was prompted to put those pieces of fabric with me.  When I was packing to come to Arequipa, I saw two little scraps of fabric sitting on my sewing machine and at the last minute, I put them in with my sewing stuff just in case I needed them for something,  I don't think this was by chance at all.  

  


March 25,  Sunday we had sacrament meeting with the temple missionaries.  I said the opening prayer in English and Wayne helped with the sacrament.  It was so tender for me to listen to him say the blessing of the bread in Spanish.  It touched me.  


Alda and Nolan Doxey sang Nearer My God to Thee.  Sister Doxey and sister Garcia spoke.  We met in President Antelo's house because they were afraid the police would see us meeting together downstairs and they didn't want to get in trouble.  

After the meeting, we all brought a pot luck dish to share for our lunch.   I made creamy potatoes and brownies.  It was something so different for everyone and it tasted good for a change.



There were a lot of rice dishes.  I think we are the only ones that didn't use rice.  

Lentils - Rice with peas, carrots, and sausage -  Spagetti with tuna - Rice with chicken  

Lentils - rice with peas carrots, sausage - spaghetti with tuna fish

Rice with chicken - Sliced onions and diced tomatoes - fried thin chicken - rice with lime

Rice with chunks of cheese - creamy potatoes

Sister Doxey made cookies

* * * * *

Monday all of the sisters got together.
March 23, 2020  


Sister Antelo brought some cold canned milk and showed us how to beat it with the hand mixer until it was full of air and almost like whip cream.  She added some powdered pineapple nectar, which is like a powder you'd add water to, to make a juice.  Sister Garnica diced up a mango and all together it made ice cream.  We all had a little to enjoy. It was different but pretty good.  
The mango's were the best part.  

Sister Doxey wanted to show the sisters how to make cinnamon rolls.  I joined her and the other sister missionaries.  I donated my package of flour, powdered sugar and an egg.  We watched her make the rolls in the KitchenAid mixer that is from Sister Antelo's apartment.  ( you can see it next to the fridge in the picture above.) Why would she show these sisters how to do this in a mixer that none of them will ever have.  They all took notes and tried to understand it all.   I just watched and tried to understand some of the things they were all talking about.   

Sisters - Redwood - Doxey - Antelo

Sisters - Garnica - Redwood - Garcia - Doxey - Antelo
We had a good afternoon.  It took about 3 hours for the cinnamon rolls to be done.  Wayne and I each had one and enjoyed it.  I'm thankful I was taught by my grandma and mom to make cinnamon rolls.  Sorry I didn't get any pictures of the finished product.

* * * * *  

Natalie and Casey's kids waiting for their teachers to drive by.  

Tami and boys

Because the kids have been learning at home, yesterday, the school teachers from Hooper Elementary School drove their cars around Hooper and their students all went out on their own lawns to wave.  It made the news thanks to Nick for giving them the good news.

* * * * *


Our pansies survived the winter and are looking pretty good.  I planted them last fall so they would be pretty this spring.   I love our home and our yard. (thanks Nick for the picture)

* * * * *






No comments: