Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Welcome Back to Flooded Trujillo

Back in Trujillo!

We had heard about the flooding in Peru the day after we left to go home.  It was almost shocking to us because we've lived in Trujillo for almost 19 months and it has only rained a few times and then it wasn't really a rain, just more of a misty sprinkling.  For it to be flooding seemed almost unreal.  As we looked at the news and videos from you tube, we realized it was real and it was devastating.  

We arrived home on Tuesday at about 9:00 am.  The airport had sand bags all around the entrance so we had to carry our luggage out to the gate of the airport.  We had 4 big 50 pound bags, so I didn't get any pictures.  It seemed very different and kind of abandoned.  President Casos and his brother were  there to take us home.  We saw a little of the flooding from the airport to the temple, however, the temple grounds and the temple were perfect.

It was nice to be back in Trujillo in our little quiet apartment.  While we were gone, they cleaned the apartment from top to bottom so we had to put things back where they went.  We unpacked our stuff and relaxed.  We went to the mall in the afternoon with the Ripples.  We decided to walked and were able to see some big ponds of water in the torn up street along the way.  The street was all eroded with big holes and pits where the water had ruined the road.


When we got to the mall, we wanted to eat at Chili's but they weren't open. We could see them mopping the floors and the door was sand bagged.

Pizza Hut was closed and so was Don Bellisarios and Pardos.  Papa John's was open so we got a couple of pizzas and had a good lunch with Peter and Debbie.  We needed some groceries from Tottus, but it was very crowded so we decided to go home and try again the next morning early.    

We arrived at the Tottus at almost 10:00 just as the gate to the store was opening. We saw Elder Drescher and his companion going inside.  We saw Elder and Sister Whitney too. People were hurrying inside to gt what they could.  Inside the store, it was almost scary to see all of the stuff they didn't have.  We stocked up on the stuff we thought we'd use.  I got some frozen meat, people don't have freezers so there was a lot of frozen stuff.  The milk in the coolers and yogurt were all gone.  No eggs or bread, and no produce.  No Produce!! The fresh meat was all gone, there were a few whole chickens so we got one.  There wasn't any rice and no cookies or crackers, cereal and mac n cheese.  Most of the shelves were empty.  We were happy with what we were able to get, but still needed some sugar, butter, potatoes and eggs.  When we got home, I made two loaves of bread and cut the chicken up and cooked it. 

We live in a beautiful place, we have a wonderful apartment with water, air conditioning, electricity, the internet and we feel safe and protected.  We will be okay.  The people who live in areas where the flooding was much worse are without water, electricity and they are struggling. 

President and Sister Marble are staying in the hospedaje because their house had a leaky roof and their street is full of mud.  The Whitneys were in Cusco being tourists with their family.  The bridge to Viru where they live is washed out so they can't get to their apartment.  
They don't have anything but what they took with them to Cusco.  They are staying here in the hospedaje too.   

The temple will be closed until Friday when we will be back in the beautiful temple.

No comments: