Pages

Sunday, December 11, 2016

Barrio Central - Sister Betty Leon

Another Sunday!  We love being able to visit different wards.

Leaving to go to church.  Picture taken outside the comedor.

This morning Wayne and I went to the Chan Chan chapel and visited the Central Ward.  We've been to this chapel several times, but we've never been to this ward.  The group was smaller than I thought it might be. There were only a few familiar faces of people who serve with us in the temple.  Carlos Rodriguez, Sister Palomino, Noe Calle, Antony Apolinario, Cynthia Garcia, Kara Diaz and her daughter. The meeting started late but it was nice.  They didn't have a piano player, so Sister Mujca one of the sister missionaries played the top hand only of the hymns.  The Primary children sang a special musical number,  Joy to the World.  It was nice.

As the members of the ward arrived, Wayne and I greeted them.  It's always fun to meet the members.  I gave a sister a hug and told her hello, half thinking she was Sister Carmen Leon, she looked a lot like her.  Later, I told Kara Diaz this and she told me they are sisters.  This is Sister Betty Leon.

Betty Leon in the green skirt

Sister Leon is in the middle, it was her birthday today, so we sang to her.

The Sisters in Relief Society

The Relief Society meeting was short but it was good.  The class was set up with the chairs in a circle so that was kind of different. The lesson was #23 from Teachings of President Howard W. Hunter.  It was about serving other silently.  It was such a good reminder to me.  Sometimes I find myself seeking approval or acknowledgement of a service I've done.  I need to do better.  This lesson reminded me a lot of Wayne, he is a great example of silent service. He serves a lot behind the scenes, even here at the temple.  He just takes care of a lot of little things no one else notices or will do.  He's never been a Bishop, but he has silently served many Bishops in many little ways.  I appreciate his great example and talents that help him to be like he is.  I appreciate the lesson and President Hunter for his example of serving silently.  I added parts of the lesson at the end of the post, I want to remember to silently serve.

We enjoyed our visit with the members of Barrio Central.  They are great members of the church.

Karla Diaz in the back.

Karla Diaz daughter taking pictures of the Relief Society Sisters



Sister Tyacke and Sister Mujica  with their investigator and the Elders investigator

Sister Mujica and this little girl was very friendly.  She sat by the Sisters during Sacrament meeting.

Sister missionaries and some of the girls from the ward.

Elder Reyes and Elder Turner  Elder Reyes goes home in two weeks.

Some of the girls leaving to go home.

I made something I've never made before.  I put chicken breasts on the bottom, with potatoes, carrots, onions, and diced tomatoes.  I seasoned it all with dry Italian dressing mix.  It was pretty tasty.  Best part is that it was all ready to eat when we got home from church.  

Lunch is served.

I made a Banana Cake

**********************************************************

I like the following quotes from the lesson in Relief Society and Priesthood.  I am posting them here as a reminder for me.  


“Most of us will be quiet, relatively unknown folks who … do our work without fanfare. To those of you who may find that … unspectacular, I say, you are ‘no less serviceable’ than the most spectacular of your associates.” Alma 48: 18-19


 President Hunter understood that every act of service is important in God’s eyes, no matter how unheralded or inconspicuous. Several weeks before President Hunter passed away, a friend asked, “Dear President, what is the most exalted position or calling—that of a dear and trusted friend, or that of a prophet of God?” After hearing the question, “the President pondered silently for what seemed like minutes; then slowly grasping the hand of his friend and turning his head squarely toward him, with a tear trickling down his frail cheek, he responded, ‘they are both sacred callings of trust.

man and boy with baseball
Life-changing service is rendered by many “who are not seen in the limelight, who do not receive the attention of the world.”
 Consider, for example, the profound service a mother or father gives in the quiet anonymity of a worthy Latter-day Saint home. Think of the Gospel Doctrine teachers and Primary choristers and Scoutmasters and Relief Society visiting teachers who serve and bless millions but whose names will never be publicly applauded or featured in the nation’s media.


Most of us will be quiet, relatively unknown folks who come and go and do our work without fanfare. To those of you who may find that [thought] lonely or frightening or just unspectacular, I say, you are “no less serviceable” than the most spectacular of your associates. You, too, are part of God’s army.
King Benjamin declared: “Behold, I say unto you that because I said unto you that I had spent my days in your service, I do not desire to boast, for I have only been in the service of God. And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.” (Mosiah 2:16–17.)

women serving in cannery
We are “most happy and successful in life” when our “interests are coupled with giving assistance to others and helping them find the way.”
If you feel that much of what you do does not make you very famous, take heart. Most of the best people who ever lived weren’t very famous, either. Serve and grow, faithfully and quietly. Be on guard regarding the praise of men. Jesus said in the Sermon on the Mount: 
"That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.” (Matt. 6:1–4.)
May our Father in Heaven so reward you always.








No comments: